Skip to Content
- Barra is a system comprising an expendable sonobuoy and an aircraft system. The sonobuoy listens for sounds emitted by a submarine and transmits them to the aircraft where they are processed and displayed.
- It was invented by DSTO. Australia developed the sonobuoy and the UK the airborne processor.
- Barra has been in service for over 30 years and is still used by the Royal Australian Air Force and the (UK) Royal Air Force.
- More than 30,000 sonobuoys have been manufactured.
- The project has contributed the national economy and to employment: the total value of contracts is estimated at $500M (allowing for inflation to 2010).
- Research and development is continuing into other variants of directional sonobuoy systems, made active using underwater sound sources.