1923 (28 July)

Site works begin

1923 (28 July)


Work starts on Sydney City Circle railway

1924 (24 March)

Contract awarded to the English firm Dorman Long and Co. for the sum of £4,217,721, 11 shillings and 10 pence

1925 (January)

Excavations to build the abutments and approach spans began

1925 (26 March)

Foundation stones of southern abutment tower laid

1925 (October)

Building of abutments and approach spans begins - completed in September 1928


Museum and St James stations of City Circle railway opened

1928 (December)

Construction of the bridge itself begins with the construction of the bridge parts in the workshops


Construction of the arch of the bridge begins

1929 (26 November)

Erection of a record tonnage of steel on one day – 589 tonnes

1930 (19 August)

Main arch joined


Road and the two sets of tram and railway tracks completed.

Power, telephone lines, water, gas and drainage pipes added

1932 (16 January)

Last stone set in Pylons

1932 (19 January)

First test steam locomotive, safely crosses the bridge.

1932 (19 March)

Road declared open for traffic

The worksheds were demolished after the bridge was completed, and the land is now occupied by Luna Park and the North Sydney Swimming Pool.


  • Australian Constructors Association
  • Cochlear
  • Defence Materiel Organisation (DMO)
  • Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO)
  • Leighton Holdings Limited
  • Resmed
  • Thales
  • ARUP
  • KBR